Saturday, October 6, 2012

The bicycle


During the holidays of 2011 I return to the old practice of riding a bike.  I bought a brand new hybrid bicycle that is a mixture between a mountain bike and racing bike. And I never thought that this objet will have such an important place of my life. In those holidays I travel around the “Region de los Lagos”. After that trip I used my bike to get every day to the university, and now I use it to go everywhere.

Now, I think that this city (Santiago) is not adequate for use the bike. Although some communes had built bike-paths, it’s a joke because they are planned as recreative paths for the familys on Sunday.  The main problem is that in Chile doesn´t exist a “bike culture”, so building good bike paths are not part of government plans. In the other side, bike riders are (most of them) careless, they don’t use appropriate equipment, and they ride in a reckless manner.  

But not everything is black, there are bike riders organizations which are fighting to develop a bike culture from inside the bikers to higher spheres of power. Although all this good attempt, this were not enough to save my bicycle of getting stolen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment